Dr Jennifer Martin - Nat Sch of Education (Faculty of Education and Arts)
Fully accredited supervisor - Can supervise as principal supervisor
Jenny's research interests:
* Human agency in learning and development, particularly as applied to teacher education, science education and education leadership.
* Critical approaches to science education for equity and social justice.
* Transformative research methodologies, participatory ethnography, action research and developmental work research
Discursive psychology and cultural historical activity theory.
Dr Jenny Martin's research program is concerned with promoting student and teacher agency for the wellbeing of individuals and the planet and extends to science education, education for sustainability, initial teacher education, teacher professional learning and pedagogical leadership. She is currently Research Fellow on the Australian Research Council Discovery Project, Learning-rich Leadership for Quality Improvement in Early Education, concerned with transformative practice and pedagogical leadership in early childhood contexts. Her expertise includes applications of positioning theory and cultural historical activity theory to education research, developmental work research, action research, participatory ethnography, cultural/discursive psychology and includes video-based research design.
Jenny has published articles in the International Journal of Educational Research, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, Journal of Science Teacher Education, Research in Science Education, International Journal of Science Education, Learning, Cultural and Social Interaction, where she was also Guest-editor of a special issue on Agency and Learning, and articles and invited commentaries in Cultural Studies in Science Education.
|:||Staff Directory ProfilePersonal Website|
- A Study of Higher Level Upper-Secondary Mathematics Course Choice (PhD) (Associate Supervisor)
- Assessing the arts of learning of two-year-olds within teacher-led early childhood education and care environments in Aotearoa New Zealand (PhD) (Co-Supervisor)
- Perspectives and practices that characterise effective leadership in early childhood education in New Zealand (PhD) (Co-Supervisor)
- Exploring sector specific needs and expectations of ECE positional leaders from a lived experience perspective. (PhD) (Co-Supervisor)
- Bridging the gap: An investigation into Initial Teacher Education partnerships through the 'teachers teaching teacher's' model (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
Identity projects: A model for effective teacher professional learning from cultural historical psychology, in In C. van der Veen, W. Wardekker, & B. van Oers, (Eds.) Supporting the good teacher. The role of agency in teacher education.
Discourse analysis and multimodal meaning making in a science classroom: Meta-analytic insights from three theoretical perspectives, in Research in Science Education.
Educational Leaders and the project of professionalisation in early childhood education in Australia, in International Journal of Educational Research
Rethinking equity: standpoints emerging from a community project with victims of violence and abuse in Argentina, in Cultural Studies of Science Education
Researching teacher agency in elementary school science using positioning theory and grammar of agency, in Journal of Science Teacher Education
Researching primary teachers' professional agency: Employing interactive ethnography to overcome reluctance to teach science, in Research in Science Education.
Ontology matters: a commentary on contribution to cultural historical activity, in Cultural Studies of Science Education
Finding ways to fill the void: Preservice teachers struggling with their own consumption, in Sociocultural Perspectives on Youth Ethical Consumerism
Becoming professionally agentic: Researching pedagogical reasoning in initial teacher education, in In J. Nuttall, A. Kostogriz, M. Jones, & J. Martin (Eds.) Teacher Education Policy and Practice. Evidence of Impact, Impact of Evidence.
I had to take action straight away. Pre-service teachers accounts of pro environmental engagement, in Science & technology education promoting wellbeing for individuals, societies & environments
The grammar of agency: Studying possibilities for student agency in science classroom discourse, in Learning Culture and Social Interaction
Preservice teacher agency concerning education for sustainability (EfS): A discursive psychological approach, in Journal of Research in Science Teaching
What is agency? Perspectives in science education research, in International Journal of Science Education
Science students' classroom discourse: Tasha's umwelt, in Research in Science Education
2017 AARE (Australian Association for Research in Education) Early Career Researcher Award.