Associate Professor Gert-Jan Pepping - Nat Sch Exercise Science (Faculty of Health Sciences)
Fully accredited supervisor - Can supervise as principal supervisor
I perform research into Psychology, Perception and Action-, Motor Control-, and Decision-Making in Sport, Exercise and Healthy Ageing.
Education, research and consultancy takes place in the following areas:
- Visual exploration and situation awareness.
- Affordances and action-boundary perception.
- Locomotor pointing and falls.
- Built environment and healthy ageing.
- Decisions in sport, exercise and health situations.
- Innovation and wearable technology in sport exercise and healthy ageing.
Key words: Affordances, Exploration, Perception-Action, Perceptual Learning, Experimental Psychology, Sport Science, Falls Prevention.
|:||+61 (0) 736237550 (Brisbane)|
|:||Staff Directory Profile|
- Using Virtual Reality to develop and promote situation awareness in high performance team-sport (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- An Inter-generational Learning and Living Campus: A New Model for Healthy Senior Living and Integrated School Communities across Urban and Regional Australia. (Funded Grant) (Chief Investigator)
- Play, Exploration and Physical Activity (Child Exploration and Physical Activity in Play System - CEPAPS) (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Measuring and promoting situation awareness in high performance team-sport (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Biomarkers in High Performance Sport: The Sport Hormone - Developing Methodology to Assess Oxytocin Reactivity (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Using Virtual Reality to prevent falls (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Stepping Into the Real World: Assessing the Efficacy of Organised Bushwalking to Prevent Falls (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Exploration and Perception-Action Expertise in Team-Sports (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Action Selection in Tennis Serving: The Influence of Receiving Positions on Service Decisions in Tennis (Master) (Principal Supervisor)
- Developing Technology to Investigate Exploration and Perception-Action Expertise in Field Hockey (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Exploration in Support of Interpersonal Decision Making in Association Football. (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Understanding Perceptual-Motor Calibration and its Relevance for Successful Movement Control (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
Learner-adapted practice promotes skill transfer in unskilled adults learning the basketball set shot , in European Journal of Sports Science.
Associations between gait-related falls and gait adaptations when stepping onto a curb: A prospective falls study , in Journal of Aging and Health, 27, 309-315
Using microtechnology to quantify torso angle during match-play in field hockey , in Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
Perceptual-motor regulation in locomotor pointing while approaching a curb, in Gait & Posture, 60, 164-170
Development and validation of a sensor-based algorithm for detecting visual exploratory actions, in IEEE Sensors Letters
Flipping sport psychology theory into practice: A context- and behavior centered approach, in In Massimiliano L. Cappuccio (Ed.), Handbook of Embodied Cognition and Sport Psychology. MIT Press.
Children's perception of action boundaries and how it affects their climbing behavior, in Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 166, 134-146
Factors Affecting Measurement of Salivary Cortisol and Secretory Immunoglobulin A in Field Studies of Athletes , in Frontiers in Endocrinology
The Science of Racing against Opponents: Affordance Competition and the Regulation of Exercise Intensity in Head-to-Head Competition, in Frontiers in Physiology, 8, 239
When a Fly Ball is Out of Reach: Catchability Judgments Are Not Based on Optical Acceleration Cancellation, in Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 535
A systematic review on perceptual-motor calibration to changes in action capabilities , in Human Movement Science, 51, 59-71.
Cycling in the Absence of Task-Related Feedback: Effects on Pacing and Performance, in Frontiers in Physiology, 7, 511-9
A comparison of coping-styles of individual andA team athletes of Australia and the Netherlands , in International Sports Studies, 37, 36-48.
An ecological stance on risk and safe behaviors in children: The role of affordances and emergent behaviors , in New Ideas in Psychology, 36, 50-59
Extrinsic tau-coupling and the regulation of interceptive reaching under varying task constraints, in Motor Control,18, 347-367
"Let's Pick Him!": Ratings of Skill Level on the Basis of In-Game Playing Behaviour in Bantam League Junior Ice Hockey, in International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 8(4), 641-660.
Shaping decisions in volleyball: An ecological approach to decision-making in volleyball passing, in International Journal of Sport Psychology, 44, 197-214.
On possibilities for action: The past, present and future of affordance research, in AVANT: Trends in Interdisciplinary Studies, 3 (2), 54-69.
Base on balls for the Chapman strategy: Reassessing Brouwer, Brenner, and Smeets (2002), in Attention Perception & Psychophysics, 74(7), 1488-1498.
Prospective guidance in a free-swimming cell, in Biological Cybernetics, 106(4-5), 283-293.
Self-regulation of learning and relative age in elite youth soccer: International versus national level players. , in International Journal of Sport Psychology 43 (4), 312-325.
Affordances can invite behavior: Reconsidering the relationship between affordances and agency, in New Ideas in Psychology, 30, 250-258.
Oxytocin and the Biopsychology of Performance in Teamsports, in The Scientific World Journal, 2012.
Risk factors for patellar tendinopathy: A review of the literature, in British Journal of Sports Medicine, 45 (4), 310-384.
Affordances shape pass kick behavior in association football: Effects of distance and social context , in Revista de Psicologia del Deporte, 20 (2), 709-727.
Self-regulation of practice behavior among elite youth soccer players: An exploratory study, in The Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 23 (1), 110-128.
Reaction time and movement time in the actualisation of afforded action, in Ecological Psychology, 22(2), 119-149.
Winning a soccer penalty shootout: celebrate individual success and you will yield ultimate team success, in Journal of Sports Sciences. 28(9), 983-992.
TauG-guidance of transients in expressive musical performance, in Experimental Brain Research, 189, 361-372.
No effect of a graded training program on the number of running-related injuries in novice runners. A randomized controlled trial [ISRCTN37259753], in American Journal of Sports Medicine, 36(1), 33-9. doi:10.1177/0363546507307505
The role of haptic exploration of ground surface information in perception of overhead reachability, in Journal of Motor Behavior, 40(6), 491-498.
The GRONORUN study: is a gradual training program for novice runners effective in preventing running related injuries? Design of a RCT [ISRCTN37259753]. , in BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2, 8-24.
Unnatural selection: Talent identification and development in sport, in Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology & Life Sciences, 9, 61-88.