Dr Gert-Jan Pepping - Nat Sch Exercise Science (Faculty of Health Sciences)
Fully accredited supervisor - Can supervise as principal supervisor
I perform research into Psychology, Perception and Action-, Motor Control-, and Decision-Making in Ageing, Sport, and Exercise.
Education, research and consultancy takes place in the following areas:
- Visual exploration and situation awareness.
- Affordances and action-boundary perception.
- Locomotor pointing and falls.
- Decisions in sport, exercise and health situations.
- Innovation and wearable technology in sport exercise and healthy ageing.
Key words: Affordances, Exploration, Perception-Action, Perceptual Learning, Experimental Psychology, Sport Science, Falls Prevention.
|:||+61 (0) 736237550 (Brisbane)|
|:||Staff Directory Profile|
- Using Virtual Reality to develop and promote situation awareness in high performance team-sport (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Play, Exploration and Physical Activity (Child Exploration and Physical Activity in Play System - CEPAPS) (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Measuring and promoting situation awareness in high performance team-sport (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Biomarkers in High Performance Sport: The Sport Hormone - Developing Methodology to Assess Oxytocin Reactivity (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Using Virtual Reality to prevent falls (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Stepping Into the Real World: Assessing the Efficacy of Organised Bushwalking to Prevent Falls (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Exploration and Perception-Action Expertise in Team-Sports (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Action Selection in Tennis Serving: The Influence of Receiving Positions on Service Decisions in Tennis (Master) (Principal Supervisor)
- Developing Technology to Investigate Exploration and Perception-Action Expertise in Field Hockey (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Exploration in Support of Interpersonal Decision Making in Association Football. (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Understanding Perceptual-Motor Calibration and its Relevance for Successful Movement Control (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
Visual exploration when surrounded by affordances: Frequency of head movements is predictive of response speed , in Ecological Psychology
Perceptual-motor regulation in locomotor pointing while approaching a curb, in Gait & Posture, 60, 164-170
Development and validation of a sensor-based algorithm for detecting visual exploratory actions, in IEEE Sensors Letters
Flipping sport psychology theory into practice: A context- and behavior centered approach, in In Massimiliano L. Cappuccio (Ed.), Handbook of Embodied Cognition and Sport Psychology. MIT Press.
Gait-related falls are associated with gait adaptations when stepping onto a curb: A prospective falls study, in Journal of Aging and Health
Children's perception of action boundaries and how it affects their climbing behavior, in Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 166, 134-146
Factors Affecting Measurement of Salivary Cortisol and Secretory Immunoglobulin A in Field Studies of Athletes , in Frontiers in Endocrinology
The Science of Racing against Opponents: Affordance Competition and the Regulation of Exercise Intensity in Head-to-Head Competition, in Frontiers in Physiology, 8, 239
When a Fly Ball is Out of Reach: Catchability Judgments Are Not Based on Optical Acceleration Cancellation, in Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 535
A systematic review on perceptual-motor calibration to changes in action capabilities , in Human Movement Science, 51, 59-71.
Cycling in the Absence of Task-Related Feedback: Effects on Pacing and Performance, in Frontiers in Physiology, 7, 511-9
A comparison of coping-styles of individual andA team athletes of Australia and the Netherlands , in International Sports Studies, 37, 36-48.
An ecological stance on risk and safe behaviors in children: The role of affordances and emergent behaviors , in New Ideas in Psychology, 36, 50-59
Extrinsic tau-coupling and the regulation of interceptive reaching under varying task constraints, in Motor Control,18, 347-367
"Let's Pick Him!": Ratings of Skill Level on the Basis of In-Game Playing Behaviour in Bantam League Junior Ice Hockey, in International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 8(4), 641-660.
Shaping decisions in volleyball: An ecological approach to decision-making in volleyball passing, in International Journal of Sport Psychology, 44, 197-214.
On possibilities for action: The past, present and future of affordance research, in AVANT: Trends in Interdisciplinary Studies, 3 (2), 54-69.
Base on balls for the Chapman strategy: Reassessing Brouwer, Brenner, and Smeets (2002), in Attention Perception & Psychophysics, 74(7), 1488-1498.
Prospective guidance in a free-swimming cell, in Biological Cybernetics, 106(4-5), 283-293.
Self-regulation of learning and relative age in elite youth soccer: International versus national level players. , in International Journal of Sport Psychology 43 (4), 312-325.
Affordances can invite behavior: Reconsidering the relationship between affordances and agency, in New Ideas in Psychology, 30, 250-258.
Oxytocin and the Biopsychology of Performance in Teamsports, in The Scientific World Journal, 2012.
Risk factors for patellar tendinopathy: A review of the literature, in British Journal of Sports Medicine, 45 (4), 310-384.
Affordances shape pass kick behavior in association football: Effects of distance and social context , in Revista de Psicologia del Deporte, 20 (2), 709-727.
Self-regulation of practice behavior among elite youth soccer players: An exploratory study, in The Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 23 (1), 110-128.
Reaction time and movement time in the actualisation of afforded action, in Ecological Psychology, 22(2), 119-149.
Winning a soccer penalty shootout: celebrate individual success and you will yield ultimate team success, in Journal of Sports Sciences. 28(9), 983-992.
TauG-guidance of transients in expressive musical performance, in Experimental Brain Research, 189, 361-372.
No effect of a graded training program on the number of running-related injuries in novice runners. A randomized controlled trial [ISRCTN37259753], in American Journal of Sports Medicine, 36(1), 33-9. doi:10.1177/0363546507307505
The role of haptic exploration of ground surface information in perception of overhead reachability, in Journal of Motor Behavior, 40(6), 491-498.
The GRONORUN study: is a gradual training program for novice runners effective in preventing running related injuries? Design of a RCT [ISRCTN37259753]. , in BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2, 8-24.
Unnatural selection: Talent identification and development in sport, in Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology & Life Sciences, 9, 61-88.