Professor Marita McCabe - Institute for Health & Ageing (Faculty of Health Sciences)
Fully accredited supervisor - Can supervise as principal supervisor
Professor Marita McCabe has conducted a range of research studies to address depression and behavioural problems associated with dementia among older people. Her research team and postgraduate students have investigated the prevalence of depression among older people in both residential and community care. On the basis of a needs analysis, the team developed a staff training program to assist them to detect depression among older people. This program has been evaluated in a preliminary study, and a wider scale evaluation is currently being completed. These projects have been supported by research grants from beyondblue and Australian Research Council. Professor McCabe has also led a research team of staff and postgraduate students to implement and evaluate a staff training program to assist them to better manage behavioural problems associated with dementia. This program both reduced the behavioural problems, as well as staff burnout. The research has been supported by Alzheimera??s Australia.
|:||(03) 9953 3602 (Melbourne)|
No research method is currently recorded.
- Womena??s psychological well-being in multiple aspects of their lives is associated with how they feel about their body. (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Evaluation of a Program to Assist Older People and their Families to Adjust to Movement to Residential Care (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- A Novel Treatment Program for Treatment of Sexual Dysfunction (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- Conceptualization and Etiology of Male Sexual Dysfunction (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
- The Development and Evaluation of a Internet based Treatment Program for Psychological Response to Prostrate Cancer (PhD) (Principal Supervisor)
Barriers to the detection and management of depression by palliative care professionals carers among their patients: Perspective for professional carers and patients' family members, in American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 30, 12-20
An evaluation of a national program to implement the Cornell Scale for Depression in Dementia into routine practice in aged care facilities. , in International Psychogeriatrics, 24, 631-641.
Evaluation of a training program to assist care staff to better recognize and manage depression among palliative care patients and their families. , in Journal of Palliative Care, 28, 11-18.
Review: Psychosocial interventions addressing sexual or relationship functioning in men with prostate cancer. ., in Journal of Sexual Medicine, 9, 1246-1260
Manualized treatment programs for FSD: Research challenges and recommendation. , in Journal of Sexual Medicine, 9, 350-360